Go Back   Viprasys - Your #1 source for freewares > Health Related! > Health questions.

Health questions. Have a question regarding health? Post it in here!

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fingernail lines? cxxs Health questions. 12 11-15-2012 06:07 AM
Dark Skin Below Fingernail gellibelli Health questions. 5 10-22-2012 07:08 AM

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2011, 08:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

VipraSys Cash: 2,620.16
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
FaerieFly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Issue with curved/indented fingernail bed

I have an issue that I wonder if anyone here has any insight into... As of the last few months, I noticed that the top nailbed of both of my thumbs has indented in. It almost looks like if you were to press down hard on a surface and it stayed indented in. There is no pain at all in those areas and no discoloration or splitting of the nails. Not sure why this is happening, could it perhaps be a vitamin deficiency issue? A little history, I had a lapband surgery last September, but have had no obvious health issues since. I take a daily prenatal vitamin as recommended by my surgeon as well as other vitamins and I keep up with my protein and water intakes. I also suffer from Fibromyalgia and Severe Osteoarthritis. thanks for any comments or suggestions, it is much appreciated.
FaerieFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

VipraSys Cash: 147.40
Dock is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Issue with curved/indented fingernail bed

Hey,

a concave shape in the nail, ( makes your nail look kinda like a spoon), can be due to an injury up to 7 months ago!

If you can't remember smacking BOTH your thumbs in that time, try taking some iron tablets. Chances are you are becoming anemic.

If the problems persists, I would recommend seeing a doctor though, as it could be more serious.

Hope this helps!
Dock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 02:07 AM   #3 (permalink)

The iron issue is an interesting one. From doing some research before and following my Lapband surgery, I found that some patients may suffer from low iron. Although my surgeon says that is more common with bypass patients than with lapband because of bypass absorption issues. I did have my iron level tested several months ago and it and all of my other levels were fine, but may need to have another check on it done. I am not sure if iron issues can also run in families? My Mother and one of my brothers both suffer from anemia.

In any case, I appreciate the insight and will ask my Doctor about repeating my labwork next time I am in the office. thank you.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:29 AM   #4 (permalink)

VipraSys Cash: 7,632.38
Thanks (Given): 31
Thanks (Received): 26
agwen is on a distinguished road

Yeah it's most likely a sigh of a vitamin deficiency. You can tell a lot about your body from your nail beds and tongue. It's crazy but true.

However it could also just be changes in your body's processing of everything, since the lap band, and your nails are just going to grow like that from now on. You don't really say how far up this is. Is is very close to were the nail switches from pink to white or lower?
agwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 04:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
V.I.P

VipraSys Cash: 1,370,121.56
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 865
Likes (Received): 1
BlackDiamond07 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackDiamond07 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackDiamond07 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackDiamond07 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackDiamond07 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackDiamond07 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackDiamond07 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackDiamond07 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackDiamond07 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackDiamond07 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackDiamond07 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

It sounds like you have a mild case spoon nail where the nail distorts to a shape similar to a spoon. The nails are distorted because of a concave indent in the nail bed, onto which the nail plate is adhered.

Causes
Spoon nails can stem from a number of causes. They can be hereditary, in which case the nail(s) would appear clean and healthy just like a normal nail, except for a small deformation in the contour. Picking, biting, and rubbing nails over a long period of time could result in spoon nails. Another cause is related to diet. Often associated with anemia, spoon nails function as an early warning sign that the body is lacking essential nutrients. When a long-standing client develops spoon nails but cannot remember a recent injury to the nail, he/she may have developed an iron deficiency.

Spoon nails can also be caused by trauma to the matrix where only one nail will have concavity, the patient can remember a painful experience involving that finger, and the abnormal shape originates at the cuticle and moves slowly but steadily to the free edge.

A final cause of spoon nails is a systemic problem, such as lung or heart problems, or cancer. As a general rule 90% of all diseases will manifest in the nails at some point.

Treatment
Spoon nails could take 6 to 9 months to correct because nails grow very slowly. If the cause is from anemia, the patient will need to ask a pharmacist or doctor about an iron supplement to balance the low levels in her system. If a spoon nail is caused by trauma, it should grow out naturally to the free edge and be filed off. However, treatment can include emollients to soften the nail and the skin around the nail. This works well with toenails affected by spoon nails because a toenail would not be covered with an enhancement.

As you have mentioned that anemia runs in the family, this may be the cause as anemia is hereditary, which implies that there is iron deficiency as anemia is iron deficiency in the bloodstream. However, it is best to check with your surgeon first.

Last edited by BlackDiamond07; 07-23-2011 at 04:50 PM.
BlackDiamond07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
V.I.P

VipraSys Cash: 5,566,414.24
Thanks (Given): 14
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 1
lostinspace2010 has a reputation beyond reputelostinspace2010 has a reputation beyond reputelostinspace2010 has a reputation beyond reputelostinspace2010 has a reputation beyond reputelostinspace2010 has a reputation beyond reputelostinspace2010 has a reputation beyond reputelostinspace2010 has a reputation beyond reputelostinspace2010 has a reputation beyond reputelostinspace2010 has a reputation beyond reputelostinspace2010 has a reputation beyond reputelostinspace2010 has a reputation beyond repute

It's probably an iron deficiency known as koilonychia. The easiest way is to to go to the doctor and do the blood test and get so much needed supplements.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

VipraSys Cash: 980.65
AtThePark is an unknown quantity at this point

I would definitely go to a doctor and have a blood test done, unless this grows out during the next few weeks and stays away. Damage can be done to the nails while they are still inside the finger and that might show up weeks later. If that's the problem, the spot should move closer and closer to the outside of the nail, then disappear once the nail has been cut. If that's not the case, I would assume an 'inner' problem, and lack of nutrients is a common cause for nail problems. A doctor can find that out by a blood test.
AtThePark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:14 AM   #8 (permalink)

Just wanted to say that I am printing out all of this information and taking it out to my Doctor this week, there was lots here to consider....